Summer is coming! That means bright colors, flowers, yummy dinners and late nights with friends (a few of my favorite things).
Side note: This week has been extremely exciting, as tomorrow I’m off to Tuscaloosa to watch my sister graduate! Not only did she enroll in college farther along then her classmates, she spent a full year in Japan and is graduating from University of Alabama with a degree in Biology and Japanese in 4 years! Watching her grow into herself these past few years has been indescribable. Detroit to the south is a crazy culture shock and she’s done so much in these past short years. Anyway, get ready to travel with me to Alabama!
Today on MCB is the reason summer is one of my favorite seasons. A little white dress, blue accessories and wedges! The LWD (a.k.a. the little white dress) is so easy to play up, play down and interchange pieces with. To me it’s like your wild sister, equally classic, but brighter, carefree, and a little bit more lovable as the weather warms up. And like I mentioned, there are only about a billion ways to wear it in these next months.
I chose navy as my accent color. Everyone knows blue and white (ginger jars) have been the epitome of class since forever. This is what I call the perfect brunch outfit. I went with the cutest Dooney & Burke bag and some Clarks wedges (which are probably more comfortable than your winter Uggs) for some serious walking. Heading to happy hour? Transfer this look to night by adding a suede jacket and throw on some navy or taupe booties.
When you’re given a blank canvas as an outfit, it can sometimes be hard to know exactly how to style it. I came up with a few tips to style your LWD.
- Envision the look: What overall vibe are you going for? A romantic date night look, an elegant evening look, a casual daytime style, a GNO on the town? Prepare for the occasion by the weather, if you are indoors you are free for the most part to wear stilettos, flats or just about any thin heel. If you are outside, consider a chunky heel, wedge or bootie!
- Remember quality over quantity: To me, the fabric quality is too important. Sometimes even when it feels good, doesn’t mean it looks right. Selecting a good fabric is the most crucial when it’s white, then you will be less likely to purchase something see-through. If you are a looking more budget friendly, never underestimate a slip or long duster jacket.
- Clingy fabrics are a NO NO: Along with quality type, make sure the fabric isn’t clingy. If you choose a tight body-con dress, be aware that white tends to display every bruise and bump of your body. Spring and summer are the showcase of easy, breezy outfits so don’t be afraid to challenge your style!
- Stay authentic: Always stay true to yourself by showing off your personal style. Accessories are the key to any outfit and they allow you to embrace your self-expression. Right now I’m obsessed with dainty jewelry like Alex and Ani bracelet sets and simple chain necklaces. If you are more edgy, don’t be afraid to add in leather or pop-of-color elements!
- Simplicity is key: White is a gorgeous statement in itself. My rule of thumb is ‘less is more’ the majority of the time. Never go too crazy with adding too much, sometimes you can overwhelm the tone of the outfit so stick with one or two bold pieces like I did here.
- Consider your closet: This is especially important for the ever-changing fashionista. Your closet is gold, never underestimate the pieces you already have. Sometimes you own things you might not even realize. Use all the tools that are already at your disposal to style your new outfits. Chances are, you already have a thousand things that will transform your look, you may not even realize it.
Your choices are endless! Have fun, be bold and always stay true to yourself!